Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sous-vide

I tried my hand at Sous-vide cooking tonight and we were very happy with the results. Basically it's just cooking food inside sealed bags in low temperature water. You just set the water at the exact temp you want the the food to come out at and that way the food is always perfect and never overcooked. They use these in restaurants a lot because food can stay perfectly cooked like that for hours and never get dry or overcooked. However, actual Sous-vide machines are expensive I think the home models were $300-400. But I found this article that talks about doing it in a cooler, so I gave it shot. I got us a couple of little steaks and put them in a cooler with 140 deg. water (medium rare is around 130 and the cooler loses some heat over time so you have to start a little high). Then we went to the soccer game and came home a couple of hours later. All I had to do was throw them on the grill for about 2 min a side to brown the steaks and eat. They were great and they were super tender and juicy (since all the juice was sealed in the bag while they cooked). Anyways, I was excited, and I'm ready to try it again. Check out that article and let me know if you try anything.

0 comments: